GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
One year fixed term contract
Download Job Description and application
Peut-Être Theatre is looking for a dynamic individual to lead on general management for the company’s activities including new productions, touring current productions nationally and internationally and educational activities.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Post: General Manager
Reports to: Artistic Director
Start Date: 9th July 2018
12 month contract
Salary: £25,000-£26,000 pro rata
Hours: 24 hours per week. Office hours are 10am to 6pm although evening and weekend work is occasionally required within those 24 hours. Days of the week and hours are flexible.
Annual Leave: 20 days per year plus standard bank holidays pro rata.
Pension: Peut-Être operates a contributory pension scheme for all permanent employees. Peut-Être’s contribution is capped at 2% of basic salary although the employee may contribute more.
In order to apply please submit a letter explaining in no more than two A4 sides, what attracts you to the position and evidence of your ability to meet the criteria outlined in the person specification.
In addition, please include:
- A CV
- A completed Additional Information form
- A completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring form
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject General Manager application by Monday, 4thth June at 10am.
First round interviews will take place on Friday 15th June, Second round of interviews will take place on Friday 21st June.
If you would like a confidential, informal discussion about the position please contact Artistic Director Daphna Attias– email@example.com – who will schedule a time to discuss.
Peut-Être Theatre welcomes and encourages applications from everyone regardless of their age, sex, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, disability or nationality.
ABOUT PEUT-ÊTRE THEATRE AND OUR VISION
Peut-Être Theatre brings a surreal poetic aesthetic to the world of children’s theatre. Driven by a desire to create unforgettable early theatrical experiences for young audiences, our shows effectively combine the visual, the physical and the musical.
The company’s previous productions include: Tidy Up, Shh…Bang!, Dare to Sea, Clunk, The Tin Soldier, The Little Bird Who Stayed For Winter, Draw Me A Bird, The Bug and the Butterfly, and This is a That.
“It’s moving to think that this is the first experience of theatre for some in the audience.”
Peut-Être has been creating dance-theatre shows for young audiences since 2008.
The company has produced 9 small to mid-scale productions, including 2 national and international co-productions; and 3 show commissions.
Peut-Être achieves its vision to raise the bar of children’s theatre through a variety of partnerships and collaborations including: The Institute of Sound and Vibration, The Wellcome Trust, Great Ormond Street Hospital, The RSPB, Small Wonders, Lighthouse Poole, PASS Circus Channel, University of Oxford Natural History Museum.
Alongside new creations the company runs an array of overlapping projects, such as R&Ds, workshop series for children and professionals, hospital creative programmes, residencies, show revivals, national and international touring.
National touring includes venues like: Royal Albert Hall, South Bank Centre, The Roundhouse, The Place, The Egg, Polka, Arts Depot, Barnsley Civic and others. Internationally Peut-Être Theatre has performed over 120 shows in 7 countries across Europe, Asia and America. Future engagements include rural touring in areas of significant deprivation within the UK, a tour of children’s hospitals in the UK alongside tours in the US and Australia.
“Peut-Être Theatre raises the bar of children’s theatre in concept, design, and execution.”
British Theatre Guide
KEY OBJECTIVES OF GENERAL MANAGER POST:
- Work with the Artistic Director to manage the company’s day to day activities, tours and productions.
- Manage detailed budgets for projects as well as annual budgets.
- Work with the Artistic Director, to collaborate with touring and producing partners.
- Work and manage a variety of teams including; Production Managers, Stage Managers, Performers and Creatives. Assist in building excellent teams, ensuring individuals have the right tools and skills to achieve there tasks within the timeline and budget.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The General Manager will provide administrative support to the Artistic Director on general company management with a specific focus on the company’s new and touring productions including the following:
- Undertaking general administration, including replying to general enquiries and correspondence.
- Running the company diary and keeping the Company’s shared schedule up to date.
- Liaising with any venues or presenters as required.
- Liaising with the Company’s key suppliers and service providers as required.
- Ensuring that the Company policies are kept up to date re: Health and Safety, Child protection etc…
- Processing DBS checks when required.
- Making sure all the company payments are up to date including insurance, storage, web hosting, accountancy etc
- Drawing up contracts for creative teams, stage managers and other staff for productions and tours using standard templates.
- Drawing up or amending contracts for venues in conjunction with the Artistic Director when needed.
- Managing the Company’s book-keeping system and ensuring that all income and expenditure is logged correctly; and overseeing an independent book keeper.
- Making payments via the Company’s online banking system as required.
- Overseeing the Company’s financial and petty cash systems and ensuring that all expenditure is reconciled.
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director, creating, monitoring and tracking project and annual budgets.
- Logging all the company accounts on to Iris Books on a monthly basis and liaising with our accountant when needed.
- Preparing the information for the company’s accounts for preparation of the end of year accounts and financial reporting to the finance committee.
- Preparing reports and updating the board on financial progress in quarterly meetings.
- Manage the company’s pensions, tax and NI.
- Booking travel for Company & accommodation for managers, creative teams and other company members as required.
- Providing all team members with the practical information about the production or tour.
- To act as first administrative point of contact with day to day practical issues.
- Managing Per Diems for the Company as required.
- Managing international touring logistics including obtaining Visa’s, Travel documents, etc.
- Provide information on each show to venues & partners as necessary.
General Artistic Director support
- Booking meeting or rehearsal rooms as required.
- Assisting with administration for any current company productions as required.
- Supporting the fundraiser in preparation for fundraising bids with documents as required..
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director reporting on and evaluating projects.
- Line manage volunteers and interns in conjunction with the Artistic Director and Stage Managers when needed.
- To advocate for and represent Peut-Être Theatre in the industry.
- Manage the company’s General Data Protection regulations.
- General management for performing arts touring /administration experience (minimum of 3 years).
- Excellent organisational and communication skills.
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Ability to remain motivated when working independently.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines .
- Commitment to achieving high standards.
- Passionate about creating high quality arts for young people.
- Experience of negotiating terms with, creative teams, venues, commissioners & co-producers.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent administration skills with fluency in Word & Excel.
- Experience of managing international tours.
- Experience of reporting on Arts Council England-funded projects.
- Experience in the children’s theatre sector.